Ship operators can meet ballast water regulatory requirements with our rapid, trusted, onboard testing solution.
To ensure optimal seaworthiness, many cargo ships and merchant ships these days are equipped with high capacity reservoirs in the hull (or double hull) for taking on large volumes of ocean water. The amount of this water, known as ballast, can be altered (by pumping or draining) depending on the weight of the load. Ballast enhances the stability and balance of a boat, whether it is empty, fully loaded or unequally loaded. Using ballast provides a major economic advantage because it enables the maximum amount of cargo to be transported while maintaining optimal buoyancy and seaworthiness, and therefore optimizes both speed and fuel consumption.
Ballast water discharge is a well-known ecological problem. Essentially, ballast water is released in geographical zones far from where it was originally collected.
The international maritime authorities (IMO – International Maritime Organization) have instituted measures to limit the ecological, economic and health risks of ballast water discharge.
Ships are required to physically or chemically treat ballast water regularly to kill any micro-organisms using certified technologies (that pose no risk to the environment) in order to comply with ballast water discharge standards.
LuminUltra’s B-QUA: A testing solution you can trust
- A 6-year R&D program led us to develop a trustworthy method of analysis.
- We’ve participated in extensive research studies both in lab and on board, where our BW test kit has been scientifically validated for all three regulated size fractions.
- The ATP method we base our solution on has been referenced in the following regulations and is authorized to be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- BW Management Convention Circ.42: for compliance as a first step
- The US EPA “BW self-monitoring”: for BW Treatment system functionality monitoring
- The HSSC – Survey Guidelines: for testing during commissioning of the BWTS.
- LuminUltra’s ballast water solution is already used by a network of laboratories worldwide.
- A LuminUltra employee is a member of the standard and has been providing support to industry for several years.
Using 2nd Generation ATP® to confirm water quality compliance
- a 3 membranes microfiltration system to separate organisms by size category (greater than 50 µm; between 10 and 50 µm; less than 10 µm).
- An extraction method that ensures complete extraction of the cellular ATP present in marine organisms, including those protected by a mineral shell, a rigid exoskeleton or a tough outer wall (crustaceans, diatoms, microalgae, etc.).
- A second generation microbiological analysis kit designed to detect ATP in high-salt samples (up to 300‰ NaCl or 300 PSU (Practical Salinity Units))
- A portable equipment to perform the test
Our Ballast Water Solution includes:
- LuminUltra (B-QUA) Test Kit
- Portable Equipment case including PhotonMaster™ Luminometer + Bluetooth Module
- LuminUltra Cloud™ Data Management & Decision Support Platform complete with:
- Mobile app for rapidly inputting and managing data
- Robust analysis and reporting to put you in control
- LuminUltra Academy – our online training and certification center LuminUltra works with ship operators, labs and PSC who have requirements to test Ballast water for self-monitoring and compliance.