Experiencing These Challenges? Here's why.
Without a way to assess the quantity and health of the biomass in your plant, the impacts of toxicity are usually not known until much later when effluent quality suffers.
LuminUltra’s QG21W test kit immediately reveals the onset of toxicity, and by further investigating the situation, the source of the toxicity can be quickly identified and mitigated.
Many process variables such as aeration feed rate can be very energy-intensive and challenging to optimize. By observing the response of the active biomass via ATP results to changes in the set points of these variables, they can each be optimized one-by-one to realize tremendous operating costs.
Solids handling can be one of the most costly aspects of wastewater treatment, and without knowing how much of your solids inventory is actually alive, it becomes difficult to establish the optimal amount to maintain effective control while avoiding over-populating the bioreactor. Through assessing the Active Biomass Ratio (ABR), you can determine the percentage of solids that is alive in minutes, thus benchmarking the system and guiding the optimization process to reduce solids while maintaining sufficient active biomass.
Bulking is typically treated by spraying hypochlorite to kill the filaments, but this approach is expensive and harmful not only to the filamentous species but also the rest of the biomass. An alternative approach is to use LuminUltra’s Floc Bulking ATP (fbATP) test to reveal bulking problems in the early stages of growth, thereby allowing preventative maintenance rather than expensive and ineffective corrective actions.
How can 2nd Generation ATP® monitoring help to mitigate these challenges?
Being aware of and in control of biomass health allows you take preventative action sooner than ever before, preventing process upsets before they fully manifest, and thereby minimizing operating costs. LuminUltra’s solutions provide complete results within 5 minutes, allowing real-time assessment of bioreactor efficiency and stability, such as:
- Measure living biomass directly via Cellular ATP (cATP), without interference from dead biomass and inert solids.
- Measure biomass health through the Biomass Stress Index (BSI).
- Determine the percentage and distribution of active biomass in any bioreactor.
- Optimize oxygen, nutrients, and bioaugmentation products.
- Optimize treatment parameters and in doing so reduce operating costs.
- Prevent process upsets by detecting toxicity at any point in the system.
- Detect the onset of settling problems like bulking or deflocculation before it is too late.
How can you realize cost savings?
When examining the total cost of ownership, LuminUltra’s solutions provide you with opportunities for substantial cost savings and improved control in areas such as:
- Activated Sludge – tune control levels for dissolved oxygen and nutrient feed to establish optimized set points. Sludge inventory can also be optimized in order to minimize solids content and reduce handling costs.
- Toxicity Diagnosis – assess the impact of wastewater sources and determine their real impact on your biomass. This can minimize the damage caused by toxicity and prevent plant upsets.
- Anaerobic Processes – manage the parameters of your anaerobic processes to maximize biogas production and resulting heat or electricity generation.
- Attached Growth – monitor biomass attached to growth media in your process as well as any biomass detachment so as to gain the earliest warning of potential upsets.
What is the return on investment?
Our typical customer can quickly recover their test kit investment within a payback period of 2-4 months through the optimization of electricity consumption, reductions in solid waste discharge, proactive identification of incoming toxicity and the subsequent prevention of process upsets. In fact, the prevention or quick recovery from a single toxic upset can immediately pay for the initial investment and years worth of testing supplies in one shot!
Application Note: Measuring Living Biomass in Bioreactors
This document provides a basic introduction to the value of information provided by 2nd Generation ATP monitoring in wastewater treatment. This includes the various quantities that are determined and how they can be put to use as key process indicators and invaluable additions to your overall control strategy.
Recommended Test Kit
QuenchGone21 Wastewater (QG21W™)
QuenchGone21 Wastewater (QG21W) is the key to a new level of efficiency in biological wastewater treatment plant operation! QG21W provides the ability to measure the size of the living biomass population (Cellular ATP, cATP), its relative health (Biomass Stress Index, BSI), and suspended solids activity (Active Biomass Ratio, ABR) at any point in the process. Use this information to manage return sludge pumping rates, air and nutrient dosages, and to proactively identify and eliminate toxicity.
The QG21W test kit is designed for testing Bioreactors & Associated Processes:
- Aerobic & Anaerobic Processes
- Activated Sludge, Lagoons & MBR’s
- Raw Influent & Treated Effluent
- Biosolids, Soils & Attached-growth Media
The LuminUltra test kit helped us to identify the source of an upset in our process as well as monitor the health of the biomass during recovery. By utilizing this test, we were able to take enforcement action against the offending industries.